Come along to the Langtree Mall on Saturday 17th August and celebrate the 22nd Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph!
Bakers from around the country converge on Mildura to find out who bakes the ultimate vanilla slice and deserves The Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph title for 2019! And the Vanilla Slice Market Hall will be in full swing for you to ‘buy and try’ from local and visiting bakeries. Amateur sections are also on competition so why not make your own and be in the chance for some great prizes*.
Kid’s come along and participate in our ooey gooey Vanilla Slice slime making workshop, get your face painted and have a bounce on the jumping castle with your friends, or make your own vanilla slice with Banjo’s Bakery.
Come along and watch the Coffee Dash at 10:30am, with barista’s from all your favourite coffee shops competing in a fundraiser for Suicide Prevention and Support. Competitors will be judged on Pace and Grace, as they navigate the length of the Langtree Mall with a cup and saucer.
Join us for The Great Vanilla Slice Eating Triumph at 11:30am, again raising money for local efforts in Suicide Prevention and Support. Competitiors will line up to take the challenge of eating vanilla slices… with no hands!
Busking by local secondary students, market stalls, kids activities, and entertainment for all ages, join us for a fabulous day in the Langtree Mall, Mildura.
HOW TO ENTER
Application to enter is done online and a link to apply is below all the category information.
Professional – $75
Professional Innovative – $50
Apprentice – $25
ENTRY CRITERIA: PROFESSIONAL & APPRENTICE
- One Entry per person for the Professional section
- One Entry per Person for the Apprentice section
- Ten Vanilla Slices must be presented with a square or rectangle shape
- When tasted, the slice should reveal a custard with a creamy smooth texture, and a balance of vanilla taste with a crisp, crunchy pastry topped with a smooth and shiny glaze/fondant
Product submitted for judging in the Professional Section ONLY must be available in store for a period of no less than 3 months after the date of competition. Slices available in store MUST contain the same ingredients as entered in the competition
ENTRY CRITERIA: PROFESSIONAL INNOVATIVE
- One Entry per person for the Professional Innovative section
- Ten Flavoured Slices must be presented
- May your own imagination be the only limit for your creation. Your slice, however, at a minimum, requires you to showcase both elements of pastry work and custard style filling. Be creative with design, colours and flavours if you desire.
Professional Innovative section flavour/s MUST be listed with entry for judging
Entries must be delivered to the rear of Mildura City Heart, 63a Langtree Mall. Access via Shilliday’s Lane (Off Eighth St between Langtree Mall and Lime Ave). Entries will only be received between 8am – 10am on Saturday 17th August, 2019. STRICTLY NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 10AM
For feedback after the event contact:
Corey Howard – Chief Judge
P: 0411 868 022
School 10 – 18 years – $5
Open (18 – 50 years) – $5
Over 50s – $5
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- One Entry per person for all section.
- Four Vanilla Slices must be presented with a square or rectangle shape.
- When tasted, the slice should reveal a custard with a creamy smooth texture and a balance of vanilla taste with a crisp, crunchy pastry topped with a smooth and shiny glaze/fondant.
- Entry must be made from scratch, NO professional baking products can be used in the production of the Vanilla Slice, please supply recipe with your entry.
The Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph competition kit includes two custard recipes and baking guidelines. The entrant can use the supplied recipe or use your own custard recipe, as long as the guidelines have been followed.
Entries must be delivered to the rear of Mildura City Heart, 63a Langtree Mall. Access via Shilliday’s Lane (Off Eighth St between Langtree Mall and Lime Ave). Entries will only be received between 8am – 12pm on Friday 16th August 2019
For feedback after the event contact:
Anne Nash – Judging Coordinator
P: 0439 042 160
Download Professional Prize List
Download Amateur Prize List
Download Vanilla Slice Recipe 1
Download Vanilla Slice Recipe 2